Saturday 15 November 2008

Well Summer has been and gone.. although I didn't have a bad harvest considering I was trying to concentrate on getting the plot tidy and ready for a big push in 2009.

This year I succesfully harvested:

  • Tomatoes
  • Runner Beans
  • Pumpkins
  • Marrows

I now also have the Hens, which have settled in well... supplying us with fresh eggs.

There was quite a bit of uncertainty about how long the hens would last when I first metioned keeping chickens down on the plot, not just because of the local fox population but also because of the two legged vandals that occasionaly visit the site. But touch wood, so far I have not had any problems that I'm aware of!

These are a few pictures of the hens when they first arrived:


















I will get some up to date pictures in the next few days, as we have already replaced the hen coop with a larger house to give the hens more sleeping and nesting space and so now have two coops. The original coop is now sitting at the top of the plot empty, but I will probably use it to rear some of my own hens next year otherwise i will sell it on again and put the money back into the plot or towards a few more hens.
Thats enough for now... tired and aching after today efforts down on the plot, but planning another morning down there tomorrow :)

No comments: