Tuesday 29 July 2008

August Update...

Appologies for the lack of updates over the last few months...

Even though I haven't got round to updating the blog there has been plenty going on down on the plot or should i say plots ;) as since my last update I have also taken on the rest of the original 10 rod plot. After reciveing a responce to my letter that I sent the council regarding the over grown plot that adjoined mine, it turns out the owner has given the plot up a while ago and so I was able to take the rest on under a new contract. (Returing the two half plot back to one now called just plot 31)

New area: Before & After


The newest part has now been strimmed and partly covered, until I can get round to starting work on it. The main plan is to concentrate on getting the first half finsihed before winter sets in.

Managed to get a few plants in even though I have run out of soil to finish filling the raised beds.. Runer beans are doing really well growing over the rose arches and also the courgetts are doing well... We even had our first produce from the plot the other day which was two cos lettuces that had survived and so were taken home a used for our dinner.

I have also started on the newest venture down on the Allotment, which is going to be keeping our own laying hens so we can have fresh eggs on a daily basis.. This helps again with our goal of trying to produce as much of our own food as possible, the local council have now given me full permission to keep them on the site, so I have been cracking on with the pen... Still have a lot to do before I can get the hens but it shouldn't take too long once get a day off that is dry LOL.

Need to add a door to the mesh pannels and also lay bark chipping around the outside area to make the path ways.

Once we have completed the Chicken coop, the next job on the list is to get the rest of the raised beds completed. I have managed to source some second hand scaffolding boards to construct the rest of the raised beds, this has not only saved me money but also is a great way of recycling old boards that are classed as unsafe to use on a building site.


Last but not least we have the shed... Yeah!

At long last I have a secure place to store my tools and shelter from the showers. One of my parent's neighbour sadly had a bereavement in their family recently and kindly offered me the shed from the relatives garden. The shed was originally the gentlemans work shop and they said he would be pleased to know that it had gone to someone who would appreciate it and continue to put it to good use rather than it being discarded.

No comments: